Musings of a Little Bay Thoroughbred

Wednesday

Green Horse, Green Rider and How I Can Afford It

Let me start off by saying this is not the most optimal situation. But I am here to say it can be done. The first thing you need to do if you are in this situation is surround yourself with knowledgeable horse people, who won't judge you, and who will believe in you. I was fortunate enough to be in this position. Things can be hard enough without someone criticizing you constantly. I had been out of touch with horses for many years, and only because I had kids that caught "the fever" did I make that big step to get back into things.

In addition, most outsiders will look at those of us who are horse owners and immediately assume we are rich, or have somewhat unlimited funds for our passion. I want to stop all of you out there who generalize this, as it is simply not true. A friend once told me if you want something badly enough, you will figure out a way. And, that, folks, is how I have come to be the owner of one of these most magnificent creatures. No, we don't have the fanciest tack, or perfect riding gear, but as long as we pratice safety first and foremost, and make sure that my horse's saddle fits well, and that she has a decent, comfortable bit and bridle, then I know I've done the very best I can.

(Another tip to save some cash: I have been blessed in my years as an owner to work out a "self care" arrangement. This means I visit my barn everyday, and I do all the mucking and feeding myself. Not only is this the best economical value, I actually prefer doing it this way because it allows me to see my horse on a daily basis, and thoroughly check her over to ensure she doesn't have any nicks or scratches I need to attend to, i.e. lameness issues, etc.)

It was about 8 yeas ago I was inspired by a woman I met when my kids were old enough to attend a mini summer camp one year. She had a small farm and three horses of her own and was boarding a couple of others on her property. To raise some spending money for the season, she had allowed her teenage daughters to run a camp from 9-12 noon for the week for children ranging in age from 6-10. There was a small ad in the local paper which I was lucky enough to discover.

It was a lovely way for me to get re-introduced into the world of horses and share this awe-inspiring experience with my kids. Most parents will understand what an incredible gift it is to be lucky enough to be able to re-visit something you loved so much as a kid and be in a position to re-live it again through the eyes of your children.

That week was a HUGE turning point for me in my life. I was fascinated by this lady who was living out her dream of owning a farm. "How did you do it?" I flat out asked her as the camp week drew to a close. She laughed. "We were so clueless when we first got Emily's pony, Tootsie Pop. We were lucky enough to find a boarding facility with a very professional and well-educated barn owner." she replied. "I finally got up my nerve to ask her one day if she minded if I shadowed her for a while to learn as much as I could. I went out there as often as I could, mucking stalls, grooming and picking her brains every opportunity I had," said Jen. "Spending as much time as you can with someone like that is invaluable."

Later in the summer we were delighted to discover another summer camp through the local paper. I eagerly enrolled the kids and we looked forward to beginning another chapter in the wonderful world of horses. As the week drew to a close, I approached the "very professional and well-educated barn owner."

Let's just say the rest is history.....

No comments:

Post a Comment