Musings of a Little Bay Thoroughbred

Tuesday

It's All in a Day's Work; (Actually More Like Five Years)

If you would have asked me five months ago if I could have gone on a nice hack in a corn field by myself, wind blowing, corn stalks rustling, and deer crashing through the woods, I would have turned up my nose at you and then my posterior. "Why, I'm meant to spook and bolt at the slightest sound!" would have been my reply. But, I've managed to contradict myself and have managed to pull off a mellower version of myself. Maybe the change in me is that I've been experiencing consistency in how I've been handled. After all, this is the longest stretch in my life I've been loved on and cared for AND on a daily basis. It might also have to do with me being the only thoroughbred in a herd of quarter horses,too- I don't know. It could also be that I respect my owner and know she is going to take care of me and keep me protected from anything bad. Don't you find it fascinating how many individuals treat their horses like commodities and then wonder why they act badly? People are in such a hurry to ride and they forget that it isn't just about riding, it is so much more. This is where alot of problems develop. As an example, it became so apparent to my owner when one day, she tried to halter my buddy, Ben. He would back away from her in his stall, eyes wide. The trainer happened to walk up as this was going on and said, "Have you asked him if you could halter him?" My owner lowered the halter to Ben's eye level and let him turn and sniff it. "See?" the trainer said. "It doesn't look like anyone's asked his permission to do anything. They just assumed he was okay with it and he felt like he had no choice in the matter." After Ben was invited to acknowledge the halter, he appeared to have an easier time accepting my owner's move to put it on him. Scenes like this play out in barns everywhere. Horses don't get asked for their permission-they are just told they have to do it, no ifs ands or buts. And, if they protest, they are scolded. The excuses for the negative behaviour range from excuses statng"It's because they are herd bound," to being "barn sour" and the list goes on. Most of the solutions to these problems involve time and patience. Knowing that each day is different, and, like people, horses have good days and bad days. Having endless patience and the grace to finish a session on a good note with your horse instead of pressing on can be worth more than you'll ever know. The horse learns it isn't going to be a battle every time they are saddled up. I am a perfect example of just how that can work to the rider's advantage. For starters, I'm becoming pretty unflappable. If you can just remember, Rome wasn't built in a day it will help remind you that neither was a good horse. Until we meet again, XoXo Dancer

No comments:

Post a Comment