Musings of a Little Bay Thoroughbred

Monday

Mom's Friday Project

The fun part about old houses is that they have so much character, and I think ours is no exception.  I once came across a saying that went something like, "Everything in your home should have meaning and beauty."  I have always approached my house decorating with this in mind, and I must say it has been a very interesting journey.  Here's my latest attempt at dressing up our front door.  I call it sort of a bohemian style.  I've given up on trying to make my house look like we live on Capitol Hill, although I secretly yearn for one of those amazing gardens tucked behind one of those gorgeous old townhomes.......I am trying to embrace that brick facade and bring out the old girl's features and am constantly searching for ways to creatively enhance her and make her stand out from the rest of the pack.  I can't help it-I suppose it's the artist influence in me.

  Tracy Porter, designer extraordinaire, has always been a source of inspiration and I came across a fabulous door she had designed.  One of her favorite approaches is to add layer and texture to her projects.  She also  makes sure to add her unique and carefree style which I admire so much. 

It so happens I found some neat little framed pieces of art that I immediately thought would add perfect definition to the paneling.  (You never know what you will find at the Dollar Tree!) It didn't hurt that they were pictures of birds.   I still need to finish the outlining with brass upholstery tacks.  I ran out before I could complete the whole thing. I think my brass kiltie doorknocker adds a funky flair.  After all,I have to find a way to show off that I am Scottish.  (Now if I can just figure out a way to display the Burmese part, we'll be all set!



No comments:

Post a Comment